Tuesday, May 16, 2006

bodyBody project

I found a site called bodyBody Project from a group out of Seattle about body issues for women.

An interesting factoid from the main page:
In 1920, women established the right to vote. 1920 was also the first year of the Miss America Pageant.
On the site, some women recount their body stories:
You’re either a Lara Flynn Boyle or a Camryn Manheim, and I’m neither of those. I used to relate to Kate Winslet and Christina Ricci, but both of them have caved to industry pressure and lost a /lot/ of weight. I thought Renée Zellweger looked wonderful with those extra few pounds she put on for Bridget Jones’s Diary, but all the film industry could do was snipe about how fat she was (even though she only went up to what, a size 6?), and once she took the weight back OFF (plus some extra, it seemed) I thought she looked terrible. There’s no one in the middle ground. You’re either the token fat actor or you’re one of the beautiful people. I think [my body image has] gotten progressively worse as I’ve gotten older. I keep gaining weight, and the more I put on the less I like my body. I’ve tried every type of exercise and diet known to man, and nothing except starving myself seems to work. With every piercing and tattoo my body becomes slightly more my own – but that doesn’t necessarily mean that I like it any more. Now that I’m single again, for the first time in so long, there is so much extra pressure to make my body beautiful – my boyfriend may have loved my body, but now he’s gone. If I want to find someone else, I’d better get myself as close to that ideal as possible, or I’m going to spend the rest of my life alone. I only get really motivated to change my body during the times when I hate it most. -- Alicia Barta, Seattle
This is just one of them. Check them out.

What is your body story? Men and women both. Come on. You know that you have them...

3 Comments:

Blogger Raha said...

ummm yeah i have stories. Damn media...damn myself...had a seemingly permanent eating/image disorder cause of us back in the day. But it's all good, you learn to accept and evolve from it....gotta fall a few times before learning how not to.

5:36 AM  
Blogger Markus Sandy said...

I recently went to second life and created an avatar for myself. my first impluse was to create something that looked like me (i.e., heavy). It struck me as odd. I wondered why wouldn't I want to look different?

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, I have no idea if you even check this anymore, but I wanted to stop by and say hello. It's amazing how far this project has gone, and how many people have posted it and/or commented. Thank you so much for reading - and for caring. There really aren't enough people who even pay attention.

-Alicia Barta

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home