Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The Pan

I've been surviving on sushi. I got a job waitressing at a local sushi restaurant and work with people from Japan and Korea. They know very little English and nothing of Canadian culture (yes, we have a Canadian culture) so the questions I get from them are fascinating. I had to explain to the sushi chef, in the country only two months, what the difference is between boyfriend, ex-boyfriend, husband and lover. It was interesting, to say the least.

He asked me for these definitions after his "wonderful date" with the coat check girl at the local dance club. She is blond and he is now in love. Unfortunately, he is unsure about his footing with her and needed clarification. Finally, he asked, "What mean only friend?" and I had to be the one to break it to him.

Sushi Chef is an interesting character. Just like the kitchen cook goes by the name of Cook, the sushi chef goes by the name of Sushi Chef. I asked him his name on the third day.

"Robert", he said. I found out later that this was false (his name is actually Uki) and asked him why he told me that was his name. He explained that Robert DeNiro is his favorite American actor and proceeded to do the "you talkin' to me" scene, complete with finger gun. He admitted that he had made up the name on the spur of the moment. Something tells me that my boss is not named Sarah, either...

On an entirely unrelated note, I've been watching episodes of The Pan. It is not a video blog, although video bloggers are associated with it. It can be described as a curated show of digitized moving images found on the web. The individual works are compiled into a single video which changes daily and can be either quite entertaining or quite boring, depending on the day. I highly recommend it.

This project reminded me of K's desire to curate a video art show utilizing the vodcast as the vehicle. I like the idea. He is concerned about funding and copyright, however. These are issues that always come up when it comes to "legitimate" art venues. What do you do when the art is freely available on the web and can be downloaded, copied, sampled, etc? How do artists get paid for their work in this context? is there a difference between an art show and The Pan? Aren't video artists already on the low end of the art pay scale as it is?

3 Comments:

Blogger leanordprice4812249834 said...

I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

http://pennystockinvestment.blogspot.com

2:17 AM  
Anonymous adam quirk said...

Hey, very happy that you like the PAN.
We're working to adjust the ratio of boring to entertaining to lean slightly more towards entertaining:)

As for video artists, yeah, low end of the pay scale indeed. None of the contributors to The PAN are paid, except for Chris Weagel of Human-Dog.com whom we pay in 20 gallon drums of pure sodium.

He gets one per video.

12:22 PM  
Blogger Anne Walk said...

hiya adam!

chris gets sodium? mmmmm. how do i get in on that action?

good to hear about your ratio policy. keep the pan coming. it's fabulous!

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home