Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Phone/Sex

A girlfriend of mine recently told me that when she sees her boyfriend's phone number on her phone's caller ID window, she has an instantaneous sexual response. It's a sense of just-after-the-orgasm, in what is now to her a totally sexual moment (the reception of a call from a lover or potential lover). The phone number of the lover becomes local and fetishized, and it comes to represent something sexy, as the pattern of the number itself becomes so over-identified as a sign of the lover. The same could be said for screen names, which are the digital identities one creates when joining instant-messenger groups on the web. I can remember a screen name that used to make me shudder, although I know it was an arbitrary sign, a set of symbols that came to embody something more. If the letters had been attached to someone else they would never have held the same significance, as it was totally subjective and local to my own fetish, my own desire. I adhered myself to the sign nonetheless because it represented a connection between myself and the individual--a very hot connection in my mind that felt immediate, instant, and close. Emily Lacy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home