Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Falling In A Forest

anne_john

During yesterday's experiment, I received only one request...from J. It is an odd thing, performing for an ex-lover like that. Familiar and strange, all at once. With the somewhat nasty breakup still fresh, you would think that there would be some anger but there wasn't. Only awkward conversation about the business at hand.

This experience reminded me of a performance I did a couple of years ago in which I advertised my services to people who wanted to hear a bedtime story. They needed only to call me (I distributed bookmarks with my number on them) and I would show up with a few selections for their pleasure or, if they were so inclined, they could provide the reading material themselves. We would then climb into their bed together and I would do my best to bring the words to life.

I only got one participant then, as well, and it was an ex-boyfriend. He chose passages from a book I had given him when we were still together and we took turns reading from it. It was all very sweet and highly charged.


I'm wondering: is a performance that relies heavily on participation still a performance if there is only one participant? What if no one participates? Can it still go on my CV?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home