Thursday, April 28, 2005

Come Here, Go Away

I have been reading up on Tracey Emin's confessional practice and came across an article she wrote for The Independent. In it, she expressed a preference for large penises over small ones. In a subsequent article, she writes about the result of this confession:
So, after last week's remarks about big and small dicks, sadly there was no queue of eligible men around the block. I had many remarks like "I never knew you were such a size queen", and "you're never going to get a boyfriend now."
Years ago, I recorded the end of a relationship. I followed T. around the house as he took out his things. I don't think that I would have done it if I had thought that we would get back together. I wouldn't have wanted to risk the damage caused by exposure.

I didn't think of it at the time, but now I'm wondering if this kind of confessional art, while seeming to draw people in, actually pushes them away. Who wants to bare their soul, fall in love, even converse with someone who they know will display them naked to the world? How do I know where my story ends? Which parts are mine to tell?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home