Friday, April 08, 2005

Call Me?

I was up all night skyping with an online acquaintance. We discussed our daily lives, our health concerns, our fears and our dreams. We listened to each other's favorite songs. When I went to bed this morning, I went over the things that we talked about - everything that I could remember - and smiled until I saw the sun rise and heard the people upstairs getting up for work.

What I find so odd/wonderful about VoIP, is that lonely people now have permission to place calls to strangers without a recommendation for therapy. I wondered if, when telephones were first invented, there were people dialing numbers randomly - not for the typical obscene phonecall - but as a way to make a connection to another human being.

I remember when I was young and married (the loneliest point in my life) receiving a wrong number call from a woman of similar circumstance. We laughed and talked for over two hours. I wish we had exchanged numbers. I suppose that would've been going too far...

Today, on Craigslist, I find this plea:
Hello, I'm simply looking for a good friend. I'm in my 20's and a truly good person. I hope you contact me after you read this little paragraph. I'm in my 20's, I'm thin, sane, straight, considerate and I live near Berkeley/Oakland. I create Websites for a living and I'm not in school. I'm an artistic and unique man. All I ask is that you're a good person and you're not obese because I live a pretty healthy lifestyle. Well, we may become great friends but we'll never know unless you call me. (Five, one, zero) four, six, seven - nine, zero, three, four. If you can't call right now please include your Phone number on your email. No Phone number no reply because I'm looking for someone to meet ... I'm not looking for a penpal. That's about it.

Take care and call soon.

3 Comments:

Anonymous the room floozie said...

Call me? I smiled as i read this post! We are each and island than share a common thread....sometype of phone line! Those moments shared, full of laughter, music and sharing....a bliss of sorts, was this the ultimate goal, a moment filled with vibrant colors in an otherise drab existence?

1:45 PM  
Blogger Anne Walk said...

are you calling my existence drab? I am found out!

5:38 PM  
Anonymous the room floozie said...

you drab, never. you are the spark that lights the fire, the palatte that holds the color that allows us to paint our thoughts!

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home